The Gap Auditions
IS BECOMING A PROFESSIONAL ACTOR YOUR GOAL? DON’T DELAY – TAKE THAT FIRST STEP…
We encourage applications from First Nations people, people of colour, and people from culturally & linguistically diverse backgrounds. As well as welcoming gender diversity, we are committed to creating a safe and inclusive training environment for all, including LGBTIQ+ people.
Entry for our full-time 3-year program The GAP is by an audition process.
The audition fee is $60.
THE AUDITION PROCESS
The first round of the audition process is online submission of a self-recorded audition video. See the sections below for details on how to do this.
First term commences 18th March 2024
We are assessing:
- Vocal Skills – your understanding of the concepts and technical elements for vocal preparation to perform with effective vocal dynamics
- Physical Skills – your connection with the body, to effectively harness physicality in performance to communicate character and situation to an audience
- Connection | Characterisation – your understanding of character and relationship, detailed connection to given circumstances, a clearly established view of the world and, as a result, believable character choices
- Vulnerability – your truthful expression of the human condition under the pressures of the situation presented
- Textual Analysis – your ability to use language and punctuation as a key to understand the emotional and psychological status of the character and to create dramatic action and atmosphere.
When your audition video is ready, to register for an audition, first submit your payment by clicking the image. Then return to this web page and complete the AUDITION REGISTRATION FORM below, providing the link to your video.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO FOR A SELF-RECORDED AUDITION FOR THE GAP?
Candidates must perform, from memory, a contrasting scene and monologue of their choice that must come from a published text:
- the choice needs to reflect your age range and be about something to which you can relate
- with the scene chosen, have a person off-camera reading for you – but must be close enough to be heard
- it is ok to sit or stand, you decide based on the demands of the scene or monologue
Note: Don’t let the constraints of the camera stop strong choices or prevent your movement. Camera angle needs to cover from top of head to waist.
- At the start of the video, candidates are required to record a short introduction direct to camera; include your full name, age and where you come from. This needs to be a full-length shot (head to foot.)
- A two-minute personal statement talking about your acting/performance background and experience, and why you want to do The Gap.
For tips on how to audition, see our webpage: actorshubperth.com.au/acting-classes/the-gap/audition-tips/
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY SELF-RECORDED AUDITION?
AUDITION REGISTRATION FORM
If you are successful at the First Round, you will be called back to attend an IN-PERSON CALL-BACK audition.
We aim to process all results as soon as possible.
SECOND ROUND – IN PERSON GROUP CALLBACKS
Applicants will receive a date, time and venue for a call-back audition and specific instructions about what to prepare. It is expected that you will make yourself available at the time allocated.
Guidance for in-person call-back Auditions:
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment
- Wear loose comfortable clothing and footwear that allows for movement
- Bring a bottle of water
- Be prepared to perform your monologue and scene again under workshop conditions with The Actors’ Hub staff working with you
- Be yourself – Relax and enjoy the process.
THIRD ROUND – IN PERSON INTERVIEW
Applicants will be invited to a Final Interview (Online via Zoom)
If you are successful in the call-back auditions you will be contacted via email or phone and invited to a Final Interview. You will be advised when the Final Interview will be and a link will be provided.